Friday, January 23, 2009

If only....

At my doctor's appointment last week they drew blood to run some lab tests. Everything came back normal except my thyroid. The nurse called and explained that my numbers showed that I have a slightly overactive thyroid. To me this didn't sound alarming, she assured me it was slightly, not a huge deal but something to watch as time goes by. I asked her if I could be experiencing any symptoms as a result, just to see if this would help explain a few quirks I have.

She listed four symptoms:

1) a lump in the throat feeling

2) heart palpataions

3) weight loss

4) extra energy


I have half of these symptoms. I wish I could say it was the last half. But nope, I get the weird ones!

5 comments:

The Proverbs Wife said...

You have a beautiful family. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am so glad to hear that the breakfast casserole turned out great. We often experiment with ingredients in this dish. I like it because it easy to make and so versatile.

Halfmoon Girl said...

I have the opposite problem- underactive thyroid. I always get the weird, inconvenient symptoms too! My meds were fine to take with pregnancy- I have been on them since I was 9. Often if your overactive thyroid isn't too bad, I think you don't need meds- is that right??? Congrats on your pregnancy!

Renata said...

I'll take the last 2 as well! Hope this sorts itself out & doesn't cause you any more concerns.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

So are they able to treat it while your expecting? Or is treating it even necessary? I hate medical stuff...

Kimmie said...

Well, always good to know that you got someone who is aware of what is going on with your body...usually I don't have a clue. ;-) I have an underactive thyroid (med. for life)...hopefully post pregnancy everything goes back to normal for you...though I am sure excess energy and weight loss is every post-pregnant woman's dream. Maybe your #3 and #4 will kick in, soon as that baby pops out! A girl can hope, right?

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted